Internal Affairs - How to File a Complaint
A complaint is defined as an allegation of a specific act or omission by an employee in violation of law, regulation, or policy or procedure of the Department or County. If you make a complaint knowing that it is false, you can be held liable and prosecuted in accordance with the law.
The Internal Affairs Unit will receive, document, and investigate, as required, all allegations of misconduct or neglect of duty involving its personnel. Prompt action will be taken to review, investigate, and respond to each complaint filed in the Internal Affairs Unit.
The Department’s procedure for handling complaints is a public document and is available for review Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm at 2314 North First Street, San Jose, CA 95131, or on this website. Any personnel actions that may result from a complaint are confidential and precluded by law from disclosure.
Process for Filing:
- On this website you will find a Citizens’ Complaint Form. Although you may make a complaint by telephone, we ask that you please submit a written complaint, using a Citizens’ Complaint Form. Please mail or deliver the completed and signed form to the following address:
Santa Clara County Probation Department
Internal Affairs Unit
2314 North First Street
San Jose, California 95131
- A closing letter will be mailed to you within 30 days of completing an investigation. Pursuant to Section 832.7(e)(1) of the Penal Code the letter will include:
1. The disposition of the complaint, and
2. An explanation of confidentiality restrictions imposed under Section 832.7(a) of the Penal Code.
If, at any time, you have questions about filing a complaint or a pending investigation, please call our Internal Affairs Unit at (408) 435-2150. Business hours are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
E-mail Internal Affairs Unit: [email protected]
- Citizens' Complaint Process (English)
- Citizens' Complaint Form (English)
- Citizens' Complaint Process (Spanish)
- Citizens' Complaint Form (Spanish)
- Citizens' Complaint Process (Vietnamese)
- Citizens' Complaint Form (Vietnamese)