COVID - 19 Updates
- COVID-19 Report
- Adult Probation at 2314 N. First Street remains open to the public. However, clients are instructed to contact their assigned Probation Officer by phone before coming to the office as the Department has limited in office visits.
- Clients who are recently released from custody need to call the Adult Division at (408) 435-2000 and ask for the Officer of the Day for direction and resources.
- The lobbies located in North and South County offices are closed to the public until further notice.
- The Juvenile Probation building and Courthouse remain open on a limited basis. However, clients are instructed to contact their assigned Probation Officer by phone before coming to the office as the Department has limited in office visits.
- Visiting at both Juvenile Hall and William F. James ranch has been temporarily suspended. The Department is working to increase the use of phone and video calls for youth and families.
- Programming provided by outside providers has been temporarily suspended at both the Juvenile Hall and William F. James Ranch. The Department is working to increase the use of phone and video technology for programming moving forward.
- For inquires please call the following:
- Adult Division (408) 435-2000
- Juvenile Services: (408) 278-5800
- Juvenile Hall: (408) 278-5850
- William F. James Ranch: (408) 201-7600
The Dependency Advocacy Center (DAC):
The Dependency Advocacy Center (DAC) celebrated 10 years of family defense advocacy for underserved parents and children in Santa Clara County’s child welfare system. The festive Benefit Dinner at the Hotel De Anza honored DAC’s 2018 Outstanding Parent Alyssa Lopez and DAC’s 2018 Distinguished Advocate Probation Chief Laura Garnette! As many of you know Probation works closely with DAC to run the Corridor Program, it is a breakthrough program that helps keep families together in times of crisis.
Assembly Bill (AB) 683:
Gov. Jerry Brown signed AB 683 establishing mentorship and job training programs for newly released and/or soon-to-be released inmates in several California counties including Santa Clara County. Assemblyman Garcia notes that “AB 683 seeks to employ restorative justice programs and build bridges towards reconciliation and healthy family relationships.” Studies support that these programs improve outcomes by reducing recidivism; benefitting children of the incarcerated; and providing mentorship for men and women re-entering the community.
Senate Bill (SB) 1004:
Young adults deferred entry of judgment pilot program to operate a deferred entry of judgment pilot program for eligible defendants. The bill authorizes a defendant to participate in the program within the county’s juvenile hall if that person is charged with committing a felony offense, except as specified, s/he pleads guilty to the charge or charges, and the Probation Department determines that the person meets specified requirements, including that the defendant is 18-21 years of age on the date the offense was committed, and is suitable for the program
State Proposition 47:
This law reclassifies many theft and drug-related felonies to misdemeanors. Misdemeanors are generally punishable from six months to a year in jail.
State Proposition 57:
Allows earlier parole consideration for some nonviolent felons, authorize sentence credits for good behavior, rehab and education.
State Proposition 64:
Control, Regulate and Tax Adult Use of Marijuana Act (“Prop. 64”), legalizes the responsible use of marijuana by adults 21 and over and establishes a strict regulatory system to facilitate the transition to a legal market.
CalTrans and Santa Clara County Cooperative Agreement
This Agreement represents a unique opportunity to provide a new type of employment services to adult Probation Department clients, particularly those who face high barriers to employment after incarceration. Over a 3 year period, ~450 adult probationers will engage in paid transitional employment on Caltrans road work crews, while also participating in life skills education, job readiness training, job placement and job retention services.