Record Sealing & Record Checks

Please read the “Record Sealing Procedures” which are included in the attachment below. Before beginning the Record Sealing process, make sure there are no pending Court matters that would cause the application to be disapproved. There is no fee associated with this process.

Prior to beginning the record sealing process, you may wish to obtain a Record Check Letter from the Probation Department, to identify the cases to be listed on your application. You may request an appointment for a Record Check Letter by calling (408) 278-6040. This information will be provided to you free of charge.

If you had a juvenile court case, you may also request to view your Juvenile Court file in the Santa Clara County Juvenile Justice Court Clerk's office​ at 840 Guadalupe Parkway, San Jose, CA 95110 / (408) 808-6200.

After submitting your application and Petition, you will be notified if you need to appear in Court. Depending on the nature of the case, the process is done in one of two ways:

  1. Completed by a Probation Officer and submitted to the Judge of the Juvenile Court on an ex-parte basis (not on the record), who then grants or denies the Petition.
  2. Completed by a Probation Officer and set for a hearing, at which the Judge of the Juvenile Court will decide whether to grant or deny the Petition.

The process may take 9 months to one year because of the investigation process that must be done on your request for Record Sealing. You will receive a copy of the Sealing Order signed by the Judge if your Petition is granted or a copy of the Order for Denial if the Judge denies your Petition.


©2024 County of Santa Clara. All rights reserved.